Thursday, February 11, 2010

REAL. NOT REAL.

To whom it may concern, (but mostly GD and Illustration) -

Please stop taking the hand out of art. Stop taking the paint out of painting. Stop taking the chance out of drawing from life, the accidents from mark making, the actual MATERIALISM of a work in itself! DIGITIZING EVERYTHING SEEMS SO... NOT OKAY. Digital "painting"? News flash - it doesn't actually exist. There is not paint or brush involved, no canvas, therefor, it has no solidity. Stop pretending it's something it isn't and call it something else. There is nothing more unnerving to me than seeing a peer in a Life-drawing or a painting class, "drawing" on their macbooks using photoshop and a tablet pen. The idea of being able to click "undo" and "lock layers" and adjust transparencies, saturation, and "brush/stroke width" (!?) rubs me in the worst way. "Brush" and "Stroke" width - cracks me up.

I apologize. I KNOW how ridiculously old fashioned I am. I am one with my Olde-Timey aesthetic. But seriously - Let's see some realness. "Realness", that doesn't even sound like a word - I was genuinely shocked that spellcheck didn't call me out on it.

And to ffffound.com, please post more art and less GD :( the type faces aren't particularly interesting (accept for those fancy wood type specimens, those were pretty nice.) and honestly the flatness is bogging me down.




Best,


Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment