Thursday, February 19, 2009

There are not enough hours in a day.

This is my first blog. Like most any college student I, of course, have a facebook, myspace, deviantart mostly for social networking. I want to take this blog a little more seriously to document my progress related to school and my art. But I can't promise I'll keep it professional 110%. I find very little time to keep in check my social life and sanity, and sometimes both get a little too ridiculous.

Today, Quentin taught me this ghetto litho technique of transferring photographic images using a xerox. Granted I've never tried my hand at litho, making the spontaneity of it both exciting and craptastic. I printed out a picture of Madonna and Child which I upped the contrast on photoshop. Then I took that xerox and saturated it with gum arabic and inked it. I mean, it's an extremely basic approach to a litho transfer using SHITTY ditto paper, might I add... so I didn't expect a masterpiece. The saturation caused the paper to buckle, and when I ran it through the press, the wrinkles appeared over Madonna's face which gave a cracked, aged painting feel to it, which is actually quite nice.


I'm currently juggling three works in progress' right now, and I feel like I could really dish out some great work IF I had the time and energy to focus on school. The idea is there, the skills are getting there, but my concentration is not all there. My job detracts from my productivity in the classroom.

On a more positive note, this past Sunday-Monday in conjunction with parents/family weekend was MICA's annual Raw Art Sale. This was my first time selling m
y work and I'm pleased to have sold about nine prints. This feeds my hungry ego. And, needless to say the extra money is also extremely helpful.

And to conclude my first blog:

My life drawing prof. had us take a picture of ourselves and mirror each side of our face to see what we'd would look like if our faces were symmetrical. It's shocking how different one side of your face is from the other. Thank god for asymmetry.


No comments:

Post a Comment