Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Who's gonna' love you now, baby?

Update, as promised!

Below is a picture I downloaded off the micaprintmaking.com website for shits and giggles. It's from last semester when my screenprinting class met with artist in residence, Jon Rappleye, in the Dolphin Press to look at his work-in-progress. I'm the dyke in the Ani Difranco T shirt up front, of course...



I am currently reading a book for Love in the Non-Western World with Chezia Thompson, called "The Dragon Can't Dance" by Earl Lovelace. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not much of a reader, at all. Never have been. But, this book is really good! I am all about reading for entertainment or personal fulfillment. It's only when we are instructed to pick apart literature piece by piece by piece that the reading becomes... well, WORK. It sucks the life and expectancy out of literature, in my opinion.

Jess and I pulled close to 20 sheets of paper made from denim from recycled blue jeans yesterday and we still have plenty of pulp left over. It's actually pretty incredible when you think about it; beautiful, soft, blue paper, which will hopefully be ideal for printing, made from people's holey, unwanted pants. The day prior to class we also pulled some sheets using pulp from recycled proofs of Jon Rappleye's screenprints. Because it had not been beaten as long, remnants of the colored screenprint inks were dispersed unevenly in the fibers, leaving a decorative speckled surface in the formation of each sheet. Gail showed us how to "hot-press" the paper after it's dry which gives it a favorably smooth surface, even though technically this is done on a cold press. I don't know why they call it "hot-press". How queer. Y'know what I was just thinking of? The expression, "beat you to a pulp"... did this expression emanate from papermaking? How funny is that.

Today is the first Wednesday in 5 weeks that I didn't have to work at 7 am, and I hardly knew what to do with myself this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment